Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Predictions score card!

We're now basking in the afterglow of WWDC 2010, and what a doozy!  Let's break down how my predictions came out:

Nailed it:

  • I said iPhone OS 4.0 Golden Master would be released to developers tomorrow.  I was right on the money here.  Of course, I also said Scott Forstall would announce it, but it did happen.
  • I predicted they'd have two or three developers take the stage and give demos.
  • Steve did make wise-crack references to the stolen iPhone 4 prototype.
  • I nailed most of the features of iPhone 4 correctly -- and the one that didn't pan out -- touch sensitive rear casing, I mentioned I was skeptical on it.
  • I didn't think we'd hear anything about a CDMA iPhone tomorrow.



Kinda got it right:

  • Safari 5 and Xcode 4 were both released yesterday, they just weren't talked about at the keynote.  I don't consider this a complete miss since they still happened, but it's a miss in that they 

A swing and a miss:

  • Magic trackpad?  I should've realized how dead simple this would be to Photoshop and been more skeptical.  However, in recent announcements, leak that come the day of the announcement have traditionally been legit.  Regardless, I jumped on the bangwagon full force on this one and was DEAD wrong.
  • MobileMe tiering?  I didn't talk about this like a lead pipe lock, but I did go to the trouble of describing Phil Schiller taking the stage to talk about it, and it didn't remotely happen.
I have to admit I was honestly surprised at how long they talked about the new iPhone 4.  I think it's clear that this is the biggest quantum leap forward since the original iPhone and it is a MAJOR update, so it's obvious now (in hindsight) why they wanted to spend so much time talking about it.

No comments: