Sunday, June 13, 2010

Iowa's Regent Universities: when it's NOT a rivalry...

I want to talk to you all about something I feel very passionate about today.  This subject has been growing in intensity and rhetoric over the past weeks and I've been mostly silent on it, but something happened yesterday that bothered me to the point where I now feel compelled to weigh in.  I covered this subject briefly in a Facebook status to someone who had written on my wall, but now I want to go in more detail.

Conference re-alignment is a subject that has been beaten to death -- particularly in this state where we are uniquely affected.  I don't really want to go into ignorant speculation of what will or will not happen, but I do want to address a particular group of people in this state who are somehow rooting for or wishing for Iowa State University to no longer be part of a major collegiate athletics conference.  I think these folks are making a terrible mistake of confusing athletics rivalry with the availability of academic opportunity within this state.

Respectful Rivlary

I love the athletics rivalry in this state -- I think it's a vibrant and fun rivalry that everyone gets involved in and chooses sides on.  Despite protestations to the contrary, it's also a tightly contested rivalry -- over the past ten years, Iowa has won 5 times in football, and Iowa State has won 5 times in football.  In regular season men's basketball, Iowa has 5 times, and Iowa State has won 5 times.  In the Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series, the school that hosts the majority of the contests has held serve at home.  I love talking smack with my Hawk friends provided they keep it light, fun, and respectful, and I try to do likewise.  Smack is an integral part of the rivalry -- but I have no place for blatantly disrespectful or hurtful smack.  This is supposed to be fun -- not mean spirited.

I spent many years of my life as a student at Iowa State University and they were the best years of my life.  Iowa State will always be a tremendous part of my life and Ames is a place I called home for most of the 2000s.  When you attack my school or my home in a mean-spirited, hurtful way, I take that as a direct attack on me.  I don't make a point of maintaing friendships with those who degrade or insult things that are important parts of my life.  Some have accused me of being thin skinned about this, but I think it's just a manner of demanding respect for myself and things I hold dear.

Cedar Rapids was my first home, Ames was my second home, and Dubuque is my third home.  However, the state that has always been my home my entire life is the state of Iowa.  One thing we as Iowans have always been particularly proud of is the fact that our educational system is top notch.  Our standardized tests are used across the nation -- with the ITBS and ITED tests used well beyond this state's borders.  One of the most standard college admissions tests -- the ACT exam -- is based in Iowa.

Iowa isn't a big state, nor does it have a huge population.  Yet, we have three world class universities available to those inside this state for a fraction of the cost that private schools and out-of-state schools charge.  This offers a tremendous amount of educational opportunity for Iowans and their families.  Further, the research and educated individuals that these fine institutions produce helps to improve the lives of all Americans, and certainly, all Iowans -- even if you didn't attend the school.  Between the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa, nearly any educational discipline that one would want to study is available between this state's borders 

It's even more incredible when you look at other surrounding states.  Look at the state of Missouri -- home to St. Louis and Kansas City -- two large metro areas.  Yet, Missouri only has Mizzou, which is somewhat comparable to the University of Iowa, and Missouri State, which is much closer to UNI than it is ISU.  What about Nebraska?  They have UNL, which is also mostly comparable to Iowa/ISU, and UNO, which doesn't even compare to UNI.  Or look at Minnesota -- again, UM may be comparable to Iowa/ISU, but that's about it.  Minnesota State isn't comparable to UNI either.  The fact is that states with much bigger (or comparable) populations to Iowa still don't have three educational institutions that can measure up to Iowa, Iowa State, and UNI.

Our great regent universities should be a point of pride for all Iowans -- but far too many have an inability to separate athletics rivlary from academic opportunity.

All three institutions have a positive impact on the lives of every Iowan.  When your pet gets sick -- it's probably an Iowa State University-educated veterinary that can make Fido or Fluffy feel better.  When you are facing a frivolous lawsuit -- it may be a University of Iowa-educated lawyer who protects you.  When you need to get your taxes done, a University of Northern Iowa alum may be your accountant.  When you go to the grocery store, an ISU alumni may have ensured the food you are buying is nutritious  and healthy -- and another ISU alum may have grown it!  If your cholesterol is too high, your Iowa-educated doctor may prescribe Lipitor, which was developed by an ISU alum!  When you were in elementary school, you were probably educated by many UNI alums.  An Iowa alum probably makes sure your teeth are healthy.  So on and so on and so on.  Do you see how alums from every regent school in Iowa work to make your life better?

Or, if you have children in this state and want them to have educational opportunities for higher education, we've got the basis covered.  Let's say you're a Hawk fan, but you have a child who wants to be a Materials Engineer, or study Graphic Design, or Landscape Architecture -- it's a great thing that there's a world class university within this state's borders that your child could attend to study these programs under some of the best in these fields anywhere.

Despite all the advantages, opportunities, and pride that our wonderful regent universities offer this state, some Hawkeye fans are frothing at the mouth to take Iowa State University down a peg and see ISU's relevance in the national stage of collegiate athletics diminished.  I've seen normally rational Hawkeye fans -- Hawk fans with children -- excited about their belief that ISU could drop to a lesser conference.

(Let me be clear -- I believe Iowa State University will come out of this conference shake up just fine -- and likely maintain their BCS affiliation to boot.)

However, if ISU does fall out of a major conference and is relegated to the "have-nots" of college athletics, this will have a negative effect not only on the future of Iowa State's athletics, but their academics as well.  If you don't believe that athletics has an effect on the rest of the university's programs like academics, the ability to attract and retain top professors, and the ability to attract students and enrollment -- then why else do you think college athletics exist?  If college athletics can have a positive effect on the university, then it most certainly can have negative benefits too.

ISU's enrollment would certainly take a hit if they were no longer in a BCS conference.  The ability to attract out of state students and professors would be very difficult if they had no longer seen or heard of ISU on TV or as part of a major conference.  The reduced funding coming in may result in more athletics programs being cut -- and thus fewer academic opportunities for those who receive scholarships in those sports that are cut.

Let's go back to the Hawk fan I mentioned -- with a young child -- who was frothing at the idea of Iowa State University being relegated to a minor conference.  What if his child grows up and wants to be a Landscape Architect, a Veterinarian, an Engineer?  What if ISU is forced to cut these programs due to declining enrollment and now she would have to go out of state to study this program?  Hawk fan's inability to separate athletics rivalry from academic opportunity will now cost him easily three times as much in tuition to send his daughter out of state, and who's to say that out of state school will offer programs as highly ranked as Iowa State's are now?

Like I said at the outset -- I am all for talking smack, athletics rivalry and having fun with it.  However, the possibility of Iowa State University being relegated to a minor conference is something that will have far reaching implications for ALL Iowans -- fewer educational opportunities available for those growing up in the state, less research being done, and diminished services being offered by the Iowa State University Extention, too.

Believe me, as an Iowa State superfan, I want to see Iowa and UNI lose every single game they play.  However, I absolutely never, ever, ever would want ANYTHING to happen that would result in Iowa or UNI's academic programs or opportunities being diminished.  I am proud as an Iowan of our educational system, and if I have children in this state in the future, I certainly would not cheer for anything that would limit their future opportunities.  If my child grew up and wanted to be a writer, I would not hesitate to send them to the University of Iowa.  If my child grew up and wanted to be an accountant, I would not hesitate to send them to the University of Northern Iowa.  If anything had the potential to derail those academic programs, I would be heavily against whatever the threat was to those schools.

Iowa and UNI fans: go ahead and cheer against Iowa State every game.  Make fun of Ames, make fun of our limited success in football all you want.  However, it is in our best interest as Iowans to have three powerful, successful, and strong institutions of higher learning.  Separate the athletics rivalry from academic opportunities and let's all hope that ISU comes out strong on the other side.  It's in EVERY IOWAN's best interest.

No comments: