Saturday, January 30, 2010

Not all gamblers are degenerates

A couple of folks have either tweeted at me or commented on my Pro Bowl posting saying that gambling isn't a bad thing and I give it a bad name.  I never meant to give gambling a bad name or suggest that I think it's this horribly evil thing.  Betting and gambling are fun, and I see absolutely no problem with it.

When I was talking about degenerate gamblers, I'm specifically talking about those who take it too far.  Not all gamblers are degenerates, in fact, most do it just fine and in moderation.

It would be horribly hypocritical of me to criticize gamblers when I won the Iowa State round of the College Poker Championship a few years ago or turned $20 into over $1000 playing Hold 'Em on the Internet, also many years ago.

When I say a degenerate gambler, I mean the guy who bets on the coin toss at the Super Bowl.  That's the guy who also is putting down $100 on the AFC winning tomorrow.  That's a degenerate.

No comments: